Thursday 12 March 2009

Holi-Missing my wife ,family and friends

It was holi yesterday (one of the most important festivals in our part of the world) and instead of playing holi all day, enjoying special delicacies, meeting family and friends … I spent the day working like a donkey,watching football at a pub in the evening (my next blog topic) having meal paid by my colleagues from NCL(they are rich guys ;-) ,they have loads of money to sponsor).What I missed was traditional celebration ,the special 'HOLI' menu ,meeting friends and family ,but what I missed the most was my wife and the special food that she cooks (not only on Holi but always).I was so busy yesterday that we couldn’t even talk properly , I called her in the evening when she was almost asleep. After spending Holi and Diwali away from my family I can sum up my feelings in the following lines which I have copied from the famous song chiit ayi hai by Pankaj Udhas
Tere Bin Jab Aayi Diwali,
Deep Nahin Dil Jale Hain Khaali
Tere Bin Jab Aayi Holi,
Pichkaari Se Chhooti Goli

and also the following lines
Toone Paisa Bahut Kamaaya,
Is Paise Ne Desh Chhudaaya
Panchhi Pinjra Todh Ke Aaja,
Aajaa umar bahut hai chhoti,
apne ghar mein bhi hai roti
,
God knows when will I stop chasing the paisa(read Pound) and be content in the simple 'roti' that I would get in India. This was the third holi (three Diwalis as well) that I have spent in the UK and every time I spend an important festival here I make a resolution that I will be spending this festival in India next time, but that next time has still not come. Last Holi my wife was with me in UK and we celebrated Holi in proper Indian style.We didnt manage to get gulal or bhang but we did manage to get all the important ingredient for special Holi menu. We had prepared pakoras a day before Holi (as per the norm) and on Holi we prepared malpua , Dahi Bada and the usual non veg stuff (muh mein paani aur aankh mein ansoo aa gaya).
I have been running after money (which I have lost in stock market) and career (which at times I think is heading nowhere) for the past few years, I have ignored my personal life, health, family friends for the past few years. I have ignored my wife ever since marriage and she has suffered the most. In the last seven months I have spent just 8 weeks with her, not sure what am I getting doing all this, and not sure what is driving me to this country again and again. I think its high time, I need to take a call decide on my priorities.
God knows why have I become so nostalgic. Anyways, belated happy holi to all. May this festival of colors brighten up the dull atmosphere all around.
HAPPY HOLI

6 comments:

  1. It seems you have turn out to be a regular blogger. After reading your post it remind me of my 3 years span at Pune where I used to miss family on all the festive ocassions. As long as you are away from your family you can't enjoy the festival be it living in other city or country. But atleast if you are in India you can always plan to be with them easily...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi sourav I read ur blog ..it brought tears to my eyes ...i have enjoyed a lotz in HOLI ...Virenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude....tats life...it always seem greener on the other side!!! However it is indeed very sad to spend 8 weeks in 7 months....

    ReplyDelete
  4. saat phere lekar saat janam ka saath nibhana hai...saat samundar paar beete saat mahinon ko sonch kar dukhi kyon hote ho...
    itni mushkil se in aasuyon ko rok rakhkha hai...kyon rulaate ho.
    "aaoge jab tum o saajnaa...angna phool khilenge...barsega saawan jhoom jhoom ke"

    ReplyDelete
  5. tussi bade senti post karte ho !!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too busy these days to post?

    ReplyDelete