Sunday 8 March 2009

Recession- How does it affect me

Being an avid news follower (I can read and follow news 24/7 hence my wife tells me to change my profession and join ndtv) at times I think whether things around us is so grim or is it hyped by the present day media to increase their profitability and market share.I am not an economist and hence I would not be able to comment how bad things are but one thing is for sure that I am being effected in more negative ways and recession has surely arrived for me. Its recession time for me becauseeeeeeeeee
a) My company has changed working hours from 8 to 9 hours a day which I could not even dream of in my worst dreams a year ago.
b) All our leaves stand cancelled (shhhhhhhhhh it’s officially not declared to avoid media attention) till March 31st
c) The exchange rate in UK :-D has come down from 91 (when I arrived for the first time) to 72 (present day) and hence my onsite savings have gone down by 20%
d) My share market investment have crashed like a pack of cards and I am left with no money(at least for the time being) left and I back to 'hand to mouth' days
e) My wife had to spend so much time to get a job as there was hardly eny company recruiting
f) air tickets have become expensive as the load factors for airlines have decreased and hence I have to now spend extra rupees than what I used to spend few months ago.
g) I did not get promotion this March and have to wait for 6 more months to get promoted
h) Wherever I go the discussion is around the gloomy news all around, talking about recession has become everybody's time paas. Everyone comes up with a company’s name which is handing over pink slips to its employees
i) Project parties have become rare, earlier we used to have parties at the drop of a hat but now we have to cajole our managers for weeks to have a simple team meal (with limited drinks :-( )
j) the entire one hour news is full of sad gloomy news full of job losses and bank failures and even a news follower like is getting sick of all this

I hope all this ends soon and I can start enjoying news 

5 comments:

  1. Very well said....though I differ/will add to your points in how i've been hit by this recession
    1.) you said your wife is finding it tough to find a job and and you've heard names of companies handing out pink slips... we have faced it here....my wife got layed off last week .... budget cuts ....they said...
    2.) no vacation cuts yet...but there wont be any promotions nor any hikes for some time now... it was long time due for me...
    3.) my market share is not cracked out yet..... but i can see it cracking.... am just not able to make a decision here...should i get out or have the heart to stay in ..hoping for days to change ...that may be my only route to become filthy rich.... i am going to act soon on this....
    4.) one good thing here in the US is that $$ is trading at an all time high of 52/INR. sad part is i dont have enough $$$$'s to cash on this...

    take care an i too hope to start enjoying browsing soon...which has been scary for some time now

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello sirjee nice to see your message after such along time...aur batiye kaisa chal raha hai sab ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. maza aa raha tha tumahre posting padh kar... kuch khas nahi bas life chal rahi hae....may mae hum parents baane wale hain,,,baki to sab normal hi hae..tumahra kya chal raha hae

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice post sir ji
    keep writting ...
    rsmaim.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said uff yeh recession.
    As far as I am concerned , um not very much affected by recession.wonder how?
    Just passed out from B.Tech , got a job , getting payed nicely.
    I haven’t yet earned the sum to invest in shares .
    For promotions , my work experience is a much bigger obstacle than the recession itself.
    Yes, I know I am saying “The glass is half full” when it is actually half empty ;)
    Well , wish to share some interesting observations on how recession is affecting people around me:
    1. Let me start with the PG owner of my very known PG here in bangalore called SLV Residency.He is getting thinner and thinner.Nowadays, he prefers to walk rather than roaming around in bike.The reason is obvious , his rooms are vacating (lay offs zindabad) and not even a single girl coming in (recruitment freezed).
    2. Though I was the lucky one to get joining letter from Accenture , I can see many of my college friends here in bangalore searching for job.But now , they have realized that this is the high time to go for further studies.So , now TIME , IMS , Career Launcher will have their pockets filled .But, imagine the competition in these exams this time.Almost impossible to crack for the first time takers.baaaaad
    3. Buttttt don’t know how? One of my friends , working with Times Of India (which offcourse is not IT firm) is much more affected than me because of recession.For me the increase is just one working hour per day.He has got his Saturdays working..poor chap.And not just that , he has been workin on Sundays without charging..Greattt.
    4. Heard my gym owner saying “ Madam its recession” .i said wow ! even he is affected.”Earlier my gym was all full in morning and evening but now no-one comes.Not even a single new member this month”.I myself interpreted the reason.working hours increased phisss. 10 hours in office , 3 hours overtime (without charging …remember ) 2 to commute , 6 hours to sleep, 2 hours in food preparation , just 1 more hour?????Go to gym and you will be blamed for neglecting your nears and dears.
    Back to work… continue later 

    ReplyDelete